Drink Driving NSW
In one out of 5 road accidents resulting to loss of life, alcohol is one of the factors identified by the authorities. It is also one of the common offenses dealt with by the Local Courts in the New South Wales. And of those killed because of drink driving, 97 percent of them were men and 64 percent were under the age of 40.
The following are the NSW laws which govern acts that constitute driving offences, to wit:
- The Road Transport (General) Act 2005
- The Road Transport (Drivers Licensing) Act 1998
- The Road Transport (Safety and Traffic Management) Act 1999
- The Crimes Act 1900
- The Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Act 1997
- The Australian Road Rules 1999
Apart from these laws, there are also implementing rules and regulations for each Road Transport Act which govern driving offences. Those offences which are serious in nature and character are dealt with as major offences. Any person committing any major offence is brought and charged before the court and when they are found guilty, they will suffer the penalty of fines, demerit points, license disqualification and sometimes imprisonment.
Driving offences are those crimes which are committed by any motorist driving a motor vehicle on a public road causing infraction of the safety of the other road users. It may cause grievous bodily harm, damage to property, harm or discomfort or in some occasion, the loss of life. The commission of the driving offence may be brought by driving under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs or violation of the rules and regulations like exceeding the speed limit prescribed by the government authorities.
To minimize collisions resulting from drink driving, NSW police were authorized to:
- Stop drivers and conduct random alcohol test
- Arrest those drivers who have an illegal BAC level
- Arrest those drivers suspected to be under the influence of drugs and alcohol and subject them to blood and urine test
- Subject the drivers to sobriety test under a given circumstances.
Our drink driving lawyers will advise you of the potential penalties and can provide you with no obligation all inclusive fixed fee quote. Their services can, help you to minimise the legal charges against you and they will represent your case in court.